Thursday, July 31, 2008

To make ends meet.

Last night,as I was stuck in my room with boredom, Syefah and I went to Hasan's. We accompanied him since he stayed at home alone, since Ka and Zaim went to the city and still haven't returned.


Struck with boredom again, we listened to some of his traditional songs recording before we decided to watch a Malay telemovie, Takbir Suci. I think the telemovie had been shown on Malaysian TV several times already but I haven't got the chance to watch it. From what Syefah and Hasan commented on the drama-it's a tearjerker. A classic Hari Raya Aidilfitri tearjerker.
We actually watched the drama into a few sections since it was downloaded from Youtube. At first, I managed to be the one who is 'all-strong-and-composed' by not crying at every sad scene. Eventually, I burst out crying during the scene where the orphans ran away fro the grandparents' home on the night of 1st Syawal, reciting Yassin at their parents' graveyard. Somehow, the three of us were laughing as we cried, all having the same thoughts, if not, only me with "Kenape cerita ni sedih sangat???" or "Why are we crying, everyone??".
It's seriously a tearjerker. I heard there's even a sequel. Gotta watch that one too.


Today, I'm heavily reminded of the hardships portrayed of the Atan's family in that telemovie. Especially since I was eating a slice of bread that has expired, quarter of the baked beans that I saved since 3 days ago and fried egg. I feel so poor with that meal. But then again, it's still food and it taste so good. Screw the fact that I might end up in the hospital later. It's all that I got left anyways. My post-Winter holidays food. Compared to what the family in Takbir Suci has to eat, that is quite well-off.


Last night's telemovie also taught me of the hardships that people have to go through in order to make ends meet. The dad is working hard in order to support the family. The eldest son is doing odd job after school in order to help the parents. The parents just want the kids to celebrate Raya with new clothes and whatnot, even when they can't afford to do so.....My parents never fail to provide my brother and I new clothes for Raya. How lucky are we compared to those people?
How we can afford new shoes every month when some has to walk barefoot to school? How can we complained that our meal is not satisfying or delicious when some people starve?


Even though the telemovie is kinda low-budget,simple or not a blockbuster or whatsoever, the message intended managed to touch me and give me a few perspectives in life. A good one, I must say.


Now, that sounds like a movie/telemovie review, huh?

No comments: