Monday, May 26, 2008

of house of cards, radiohead

This song is currently stuck in mind my 24/7, especially since it was played in a scene in Brothers and Sisters about 2 weeks ago(yeah, syefah was watching it...and I overheard it).This song has been one of my fave Radiohead song....there's something bout the song, especially the lyrics that really,really got me thinking. I was wondering the meaning of this song, and voila!, one day while I was about to get to bed, I think I got it all figured out. The meaning of the song:-

House of Cards
I don't want to be your friend
I just want to be your lover
No matter how it ends
No matter how it starts

Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine
Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine

Fall off the table,
Get swept under Denial, denial

The infrastructure will collapse
Voltage spikes
Throw your keys in the bowl
Kiss your husband goodnight

Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine
Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine

Fall off the table,
And get swept under Denial, denial
Denial, denial Your ears should be burning
Denial, denial Your ears should be burning
Denial, denial

In my opinion, the song is about a guy and a girl. Best friends, I assume. The guy confessed to the girl that he wanted to be more than a friend. However, there's a catch-the girl is married. The guy is persuading the girl to take chances, to leave her husband and build a new life with him judging by the line "..forget about your house of cards, and i'll do mine". Probably the guy also have a gf, and will leave the gf for that girl.Maybe.The line "..infrastructure will collapse"
probably tells us of the broken marriage of the girl......and the girl appears to have the same feelings on the guy, but she can,t because she is married. So,she's in denial,judging by the line"...denial,denial" whereas " your ears should be burning" indicates that she is haunted by her friend's confession.........

2 comments:

pinkrain said...

very da lit student. go go analyse.hehehe.love u babe!!

nirzehrun said...

yeah,i lurve analysing songs!!!
it's my new hobby.ngehngeh...=p